We are excited to have a new PittSmartLiving display go live today, in the lobby of the historic City-County Building, which is celebrating its Centennial this year. The display provides location-specific real-time information about:
- Port Authority bus arrivals
- HealthyRide bicycle availability
- Lyft availability
- Zipcar availability
- Current Weather
This makes the Pittsburgh City Hall the 10th City Hall in the USA that has a TransitScreen installation. The transportation data can be accessed at http://tsgo.io/pghcityhall (even from your mobile phone).
This is the sixth display of the PittSmartLiving pilot project which aims to evaluate the benefits of making multimodal transportation information available in real-time to city-dwellers. One big benefit of public displays is that they “democratize” information (according to Ms. Karina Ricks, Director of Mobility and Infrastructure for the City of Pittsburgh), since they make high-quality information available to everybody, regardless of whether they have a smartphone or not. Another benefit is that the displays put all information about multiple modes of transportation in one place (no need to go through
In addition to transportation-related data, the display also shows live the latest tweets from the feeds of:
- the Office of the Mayor (@TheNextPGH),
- the City of Pittsburgh Government Archives (@PghArchives),
- the Port Authority of Allegheny County (@PGHtransit),
- Healthy Ride (@healthyridePGH),
- the National Weather Service Pittsburgh (@NWSPittsburgh), and
- the PittSmartLiving project (@PittSmartLiving).
If you have any feedback for this or any of the other PittSmartLiving displays, please contact us.